Glory Youngsters let it slip late at Armadale


A goal in the final minute from Armadale defender Jake Sardelic has denied Perth Glory their first win of the 2016 PS4 National Premier League WA season.

It looked like Jackson Morgan’s goal on the hour and ‘keeper Jordan Thurtell’s outstanding form would be enough to earn the victory but it was a bitter blow to again concede a late goal.

“Not happy – I’m very disappointed that the group didn’t get rewarded for a dominant performance,” Glory head coach John Gibson said.

“We we’re very positive today – we controlled the game, and created loads of chances but didn’t take the opportunities that were presented.

“We knew that any Armadale outfit will fight to the end and never give up, and we respect that, but we were punished for not being ruthless in front of goal.

“The application, attitude and work rate was first-class today but that being said the group is hurting with the fact that they were not rewarded for the quality of their performance today.

“To perform like they did today and create the chances and then concede very late is another tough lesson to take.

“This journey that this group has taken so far is massively positive and many more tough lessons and challenges to come – but we enjoy and embrace all the challenges.”

The coach said it was great to see Morgan get on the scoresheet but said to concede late was hard to take for the player group.

“To concede late in the last two games really hurts. We have strategies in place – but that being said we need to be ruthless in front of goal – score more goals, it changes the whole perspective of the game, so for us it’s about the details,” Gibson said.

“It took our fullback to score our only goal with some nice interplay and combination play with Sean (Troup) and Joe (Knowles), with an assured finish by Jackson.

“I’m really pleased for Jackson, he has only been with us for a short time and embraced the environment – a nice little reward for his effort.”

Daniel Stynes said the players were really hurting after the game but said there were still positives to come out of the game.

“The players were gutted after the game, it was déjà vu from last week, however we should’ve also been able to grind out the victory and not concede so late on,” he said. 

“There were some positives this week, it was a much better performance from us and we should’ve really won by three or four.

“We were very positive and created numerous chances, however we needed to be more ruthless in front of goal.”

The home side opened brightly and the Glory had Thurtell to thank after only four minutes. Caleb Dixon was sent clear but the Glory custodian stood tall to save and the ball was cleared away.

Joe Knowles was a handful for the Armadale defence and moments later his shot on the turn was deflected just wide of the post, before the striker’s shot from the edge of the penalty area was pushed around the post by Alfie Brincat.

Glory continued to dictate terms and Stynes was denied by Brincat on the half hour, and six minutes later Jacob Mustafa went one-on-one with Brincat, but the Armadale keeper saved well.

Armadale went close themselves four minutes from half time, when English striker Alex Salmon’s long-range shot was superbly saved by Thurtell at full stretch.

Ellis Healing saw his shot flash over the top early in the second half for the home side, before the Glory custodian saved well to deny Salmon on 56 minutes. But four minutes later the Glory hit the front.

Stynes played the ball to Morgan who played a one-two with Knowles, and Morgan continued his run and finished nicely into the bottom corner.

Glory were looking comfortable and almost added a second fifteen minutes late. Stynes played a one-two with Sam McKearnen, but his shot was well saved by Brincat.

Thurtell was in the thick of the action again on 78 minutes, this time saving well to deny Salmon, as the Glory continued to hold out, and they went close to doubling their lead on 86 minutes.

Stynes raced down the flank and his cross was deflected into the path of Mustafa, but his shot was straight at Brincat.      

It looked like Glory would hold out but in the 89th minute the home side levelled. Sardelic drove down the left wing, moved into the box and fired a low strike into the back of the net.

The Glory youngsters had a chance to win in stoppage time. First Hayden Stevens fired over from Knowles free kick, before Knowles last minute free kick was hit straight at the wall.             


Match Details

Perth Glory 1 (Morgan 60’)
Armadale SC 1 (Sardelic 88’)
Saturday, April 16, 2016
Alfred Skeet Oval

Referee: Michal Jasinski
Assistant Referees: Joshua Nixon, Oliver Allen


Perth Glory: GK Jordan THURTELL(c), 2 Gian ALBANO, 3 Hayden STEVENS, 4 Jackson MORGAN, 5 Ross MILLARD, 6 Calvin WHITNEY, 7 Jacob MUSTAFA, 8 Sean TROUP (15 Dejan SPASESKI 83’), 9 Joseph KNOWLES, 10 Sam MCKEARNEN, 11 Daniel STYNES

Subs not used: RGK Riley STEPHENSON, 12 Cam MURRAY, 13 Sasta NJEGIC, 14 Jack LEACH
Yellow cards: Millard 77’, Spaseski 89’

Armadale: GK Alfie BRINCAT, 2 Alex CASTIELLO(c), 3 Jake SARDELIC, 8 Caleb DIXON (5 Sam LOVELESS 67’), 9 Darren FRANCIS (13 Jackson BEALEY 67’),10 Alex SALMON, 11 Ellis HEALING, 12 Shaydon PASSALACQUA, 14 Dylan WHITE, 15 Nathan SMITH, 16 Jordan CANDLISH (18 James ATKINS 80’)

Subs not used: RGK Alec RADONICH,
Yellow cards: Salmon 90+3’