Glory Roar back to stay top of the league


A goal from defender Dino Djulbic has helped Perth Glory to a 2-2 draw against Brisbane Roar and ensure the West Australians remain on top of the Hyundai A-League ladder for the 16th consecutive week.

The home side was coasting, after Daniel De Silva, gave glory the lead midway through the first half, but two goals in two minutes from Jean Carlos Solorzano and Matt McKay on the hour put the visitors on top.

But the sending off of defender Corey Brown, turned the game in Glory’s favour, and after Djulbic’s equaliser, Perth laid siege on the Roar goal, but couldn’t find the winner.

German import Dragan Paljic was in the action very early, his low shot, well saved by Roar keeper Michael Theo.

Brisbane striker Henrique missed an opportunity for the visitors on the quarter hour, blazing over the bar after being picked out by Thomas Broich.

But on 26 minutes, Glory unlocked the Roar defence.

Andy Keogh’s hard work ended with Scott Jamieson’s deep cross from the left, which was headed back across goal by Chris Harold, and De Silva fired home from six-yards.

Keogh was leading the line well, and the Irish striker tested Theo again moments later, but Roar hit back and Broich’s long-range shot on the stroke of half time flashed inches over the top.

Glory opened the second half brightly and Keogh raced clear after James Donachie misjudged a header, but the striker’s low shot was straight at Theo.

Danny Vukovic came to his sides rescue on 55 minutes, superbly saving McKay’s shot from the edge of the penalty area.

But all of Glory’s hard work was undone on the hour.

Brandon Borrello crossed a ball in from the right and second half substitute Solorzano finished well from six-yards.

Minutes later, Roar hit the front after McKay raced into the area, and hammered home from 12-yards.

Lowe brought on playmaker Mitch Nichols, who dicated the play and was a catalyst in helping twist the game in Glory’s favour.

Nichols sent a sublime through ball to “Super-Sub” Jamie Macalren, who was tackled to the ground by Roar’s Corey Brown and being the last man, referee Ben Williams showed the defender a straight red card.

Glory was in total control and Paljic and Jamieson were having plenty of success down the left.

On 84 minutes they were rewarded with the equaliser. Paljic, found space on the left, and his curling shot beat Theo, crashed off the upright, and Djulbic was there to fire home the rebound much to the delight of the 10,422 home supporters.

Glory continued to press, looking for the winner, and in the 90th minute Nebojsa Marinkovic’s corner found its way to Keogh, whose shot was deflected wide by Theo.

It was one-way traffic and in stoppage time Glory almost won it.

Paljic again was the supplier, as the German raced down the left; his cross was only cleared as far as Marinkovic on the edge of the penalty area, whose stunning volley was well saved by Theo.

It was a brave fight back by Kenny Lowe’s team which faces a hungry Melbourne Victory at AAMI Park next week, who were toppled 3-2 by Wellingtron Phoenix.

Glory returns to nib Stadium on March 14 to face a tough Wellington Pheonix

Get your tickets at the gate or online here.


Saturday, 28 February 2015

Perth Glory 2 (Daniel De Silva 26’, Dino Djulibic 84’)

Brisbane Roar 2 (Jean Carlos Solorzano 60’, Matt McKay 62’)

nib Stadium, Perth

Attendance: 10,422

Referee: Ben Williams

Assistant’s Tim Mihevc and Josh Mannella

Fourth Official: David Bruce

Perth Glory FC: GK Danny Vukovic, 5 Rostyn Griffiths, 6 Dino Djulbic, 9 Andy Keogh, 10 Nebojsa Marinkovic, 14 Chris Harold (15 Jamie Maclaren 56’), 19 Josh Risdon, 20 Daniel De Silva (17 Mitch Nichols 67’), 21 Scott Jamieson, 23 Michael Thwaite (C), 27 Dragan Paljic

Yellow Card: Griffiths 45+1’

Brisbane Roar: GK Michael Theo, 2 Jerome Polenz, 5 Corey Brown, 9 Andrija Kaluderovic (12 Jean Carlos Solorzano 46’), 10 Henrique (23 Dimitri Petratos 65’), 13 Jade North, 15 James Donachie, 17 Matt McKay (C),18  Luke Brattan, 22 Thomas Broich, 28 Brandon Borrello (33 Luke De Vere 79’)

Red Card: Brown 76’