Perth Glory were unable to maintain their late season form in the Foxtel Youth League after falling to a season concluding 4-2 defeat against Adelaide United at Thebarton Oval.

Perth Glory were unable to maintain their late season form in the Foxtel National Youth League after falling to a season concluding 4-2 defeat against Adelaide United at Thebarton Oval.

With Glory striker, Joe Knowles, giving the visitors an early lead, signs looked good for the team from Perth but Jake Barker-Daish replied quickly for Adelaide before Anthony Costa gave the Reds the lead just before the half time.

Costa’s second goal early in the second half gave Adelaide a two goal buffer, but Glory midfielder, Slobodan Vulin, pulled one back with just 13 minutes left on the clock. It was then Costa-s and Adelaide-s day when he completed his hat trick in the third minute of injury time to give his side the 4-2 victory.

Despite finishing the strongest, the home side were decidedly cautious early on, as Perth, despite making few genuine chances, had the better of the opening play.

Dominating in the middle of the park, Glory had their first real goal scoring opportunity in the19th minute when Harry O’Brien, latched on to a through ball played by Knowles, but couldn-t get enough purchase on his attempt on goal.

Knowles had no such trouble with his chance on 21 minutes, after drawing Reds keeper Paul Izzo out of his goal before lifting it over him and into the back of the net to give Glory the lead.

This seemed to kick start the Reds back in to life and they drew level just 8 minutes later when Awer Mabil played it into the path of Jake Barker-Daish, who found space, and smashed the ball home.

After this, Adelaide began to dominate the battle in the middle of the park and took the lead on the stroke of half-time when Costa, who once again linked with Mabil, found the net with a crisp finish from the left flank.

HT Adelaide United 2 Perth Glory 1

In the second half the Reds came close to adding their third in the 54th minute, but were denied by some great defending by Ryan Edwards, who threw himself at a Ryan Kitto shot after Perth Keeper Luke Radonich was caught out of position.

But the home side finally found the net on 63 minutes, when Costa scrambled home his second into an unguarded Glory goal after some neat footwork in the 18 yard box.

Still under pressure, Glory managed to pull one back in the 76th minute through some fine solo work by Slobodan Vulin on the counter attack, and the visitors suddenly looked as if they could get something out of the game with the score now 3-2.

Substitute striker, Borbor Sam, used his pace to break clear in the 81st minute but after being one on one with the Adelaide Keeper, he couldn-t quite gain control, and a great chance to equalise went begging for the visitors.

United squandered the chance to finish the game off when substitute Donovan Pollock and Costa forced Radonich into a couple of sharp saves in the 90th minute but Costa sealed his hat-trick in the third minute of added time, and a 4-2 win for the Reds, when he slid in a goal after a sublime touch by Bruce Kamau.

Adelaide United 4 (Costa 45, 63, 90+3, Barker-Daish 29)
Perth Glory 2 (Knowles 21, Vulin 77)
Thebarton Oval, Adelaide, 1/3/2014

Adelaide United: 20. Paul Izzo (GK), 2. Dion Kirk, 3. Shaun Harvey (C) (6. Jack Bladen 45′), 4. Daniel Bowles, 8. Nathan Konstandopoulos (22. Donovan Pollock 60′), 9. Anthony Costa, 10. Ryan Kitto (7.Bruce Kamau 60′), 13. Jordan Elsey, 14. Awer Mabil, 15. Matthew Bouzalas, 19. Jake Barker-Daish,

Yellow cards: Bruce Kamau 82′

Perth Glory: 1. Luke Radonich (GK), 2. Matthew Davies, 3. Alexander Castiello, 4. Scott Robertson (16. Joshua Tucker 58′), 5. Sean Troup (15. Jack Oldham 55′), 7. Harry O’Brien, 8. Cameron Edwards (C), 9. Joseph Knowles (14. Borbor Sam 58′), 10. Ryan Edwards, 11. Gian Albano, 18. Slobodan Vulin.

Yellow cards: Matthew Davies 77′