Victory snatch the Glory


Perth Glory’s second trip to Victoria in a week didn’t end in the right result, going down 3-0 in Sunday’s Foxtel National Youth League clash against Melbourne Victory at Lakeside Stadium.

An own goal from Glory defender Aleks Susjnar, and another from Joey Katebian put the home side in control before half time. Susjnar was then sent off early in the second 45′ as Jesse Makarounas added a third for Victory.

A disappointed Glory Coach John Gibson said his side simply didn’t turn up on the day.

“We started well and didn’t capitalize but conceded an own goal and then conceded another soft goal in injury time of the first half,” he said.

“We looked comfortable at times but went to sleep in the shadows of half time and conceded a second, we need to display better concentration in those moments,” he said.

“We performed not at our usual standards today. Unfortunately we lost Aleks (Susjnar) through our own sloppiness of having the ball and then it was a bit of a struggle after that – a tough little challenge.”

Glory skipper Jacob Collard also conceded the team had a tardy start.

“We never got started to be honest and you can’t do that in this competition. We have to re-group and look ahead to the next game against Adelaide United at home in two weeks’ time.”

The home side, which included A-League players Lawrence Thomas, Makarounas, Scott Galloway and Thomas Deng,  were out of the blocks early and the Glory were on the back foot, and former Glory midfielder Makarounas’ free kick stung the palms of Thurtell after only ten minutes. But four minutes later the hosts hit the front. Pierce Waring’s cross into the penalty area was turned into his own net by Aleks Susjnar.

It wasn’t the start the Glory youngsters were looking for but they almost conceded a second on the half hour. Makarounas’ corner was met by Joey Katebian, but his header was well saved by Jordan Thurtell.

The Glory had a chance to level moments later, but Stefano Valentini’s chip went over the top of the crossbar. Victory continued to take the game to the Glory and it was all hands to the pump, but it looked like they would hold out to the break but in the final minute Victory added a second. John Maclean picking out Katebian who made no mistake to send the home side in at the break two to the good.

It was a bright start to the second half by the Glory and they went close five minutes in. Susjnar raced forward from a long ball and was one-on-one with Victory keeper Lawrence Thomas, but instead of shooting he tried to find Joe Knowles, and the chance was gone. Knowles then had a chance with a snap shot from a tight angle, but Thomas saved.

Glory keeper Thurtell did well to smoother Maclean’s shot on 51 minutes, after good work from Waring down the right. Then sixty seconds later the Glory were reduced to ten men, Susjnar brought down Katebian on the edge of the area and the referee sent the big defender off.

Things went from bad to worse for the Glory youngsters and five minutes later the Victory added a third. Maclean’s through ball sent Makarounas clear and he made no mistake.

It wasn’t the result the youngsters were looking for but they have a break next week with the bye and will be gearing for the next game against Adelaide United at the Ashfield Sports Club on Saturday December 5.

Kick off is 10.30am and entry is free for Perth Glory FC members.

Match Details   

Melbourne Victory 3 (Susjnar 14′ OG, Katebian 45′, Makarounas 57′)
Perth Glory 0

Melbourne Victory – GK Thomas, Gallifuoco, Makarounas, Nigro, Cavallo, Deng, Galloway, Dover, Maclean, Waring, Katebian (c)
Subs: RGK Spinella, Derrick, Duzel, Xydias

Perth Glory: GK Thurtell, Collard, Durr, Spaseski, Susjnar, Millard, Whitney, Valentini, Knowles, Vulin, Talmdzioski
Subs: RGK Driscoll, Ismail, Stevens, Troup