League leaders prove too strong

Glory’s third Liberty A-League game in the space of a week ended in a 4-0 defeat to league leaders Sydney FC at Netstrata Jubilee Stadium on Saturday.

Click HERE for full match video highlights.

The bulk of the damage was done by the home side in the space of 14 first-half minutes as in-form attacking trio Mackenzie Hawkesby, Cortnee Vine and Remy Siemsen all found the net.

Charlize Rule then extended Sydney’s lead shortly after the restart, but Glory produced an improved performance during the second period and came close to claiming a late consolation when substitute Lisa De Vanna fizzed a shot centimetres over the bar.

And there was a moment to remember for Glory goalkeeper Courtney Newbon who marked her second appearance for the club by saving a Hawkesby penalty ten minutes from time.

Head Coach Alex Epakis, who made three changes to his starting eleven in response to the demanding fixture schedule, felt his side never recovered from a slow start.

“It wasn’t good enough,” he said.

“We gave them [Sydney FC] the onus, we allowed them to build momentum and we showed them too much respect.

“They are a good team, but I think we just allowed it to be too easy for them.

“It was a timid start, they got the goals… it was the most disappointing performance so far this season.

“I said at half-time we only really had pride to play for… and we did show some fight.

“But these are the performances we just can’t accept and we don’t want to have.”

The Sky Blues came into the game brimming with confidence having made an unbeaten start to the campaign and had their noses in front inside 11 minutes, Hawkesby pouncing to rattle home her fifth goal of the season from close-range after Newbon had parried Siemsen’s initial effort.

Hawkesbury then turned provider for Sydney’s second, her long ball reaching Vine who cut in from the right and picked out the far corner with a low shot.

The home side sliced their way through again eight minutes later, this time Siemsen clipping home a Vine cross at the near post.

Rule’s header from a Hawkesby corner early in the second half effectively ended the game as a contest, but Glory showed heart not to crumble and battled hard to try and force their way back into it.

Newbon personified that spirit when she produced a fine, one-handed save to keep out Hawkesby’s penalty which was awarded after Liz Anton had handled a shot from substitute Maria Rojas.

And De Vanna came close to pulling one back for the visitors six minutes from time, firing narrowly over after impressive approach work from Gemma Craine.

Next on the agenda for Glory is a trip to Newcastle Jets on Sunday 16 January.

Match Details

Sydney FC 4 (Hawkesby 11′. Vine 17′, Siemsen 25′, Rule 49′) Perth Glory 0

Half-time 3-0

Referee: Casey Reibelt

Netsrata Jubilee Stadium

Sydney FC: 1.Jada WHYMAN (GK), 3.Charlotte MCLEAN, 5.Ally GREEN (7.Angelique HRISTODOULOU 81′), 6.Sarah HUNTER, 8.Rachel LOWE (2.Mary STANIC-FLOODY 83′) 10.Remy SIEMSEN ( 9.Maria ROJAS 61′), 11.Cortnee VINE ( 14.Paige SATCHELL 60′), 13.Natasha PRIOR, 15.Mackenzie HAWKESBY, 19.Charlize RULE, 20.Princess IBINI-ISEI

Substitutes not used: 30.Katie OFFER (GK)

Yellow Cards: None

Red Cards: None

Peth Glory: 20.Courtney NEWBON (GK), 2.Sarah CARROLL (18.Sadie LAWRENCE 59′), 3.Kim CARROLL, 4.Natasha RIGBY (C), 7.Elizabeth ANTON, 10.Susan PHONSONGKHAM, 12.Sofia SAKALIS ( 5.Deborah-Anne DE LA HARPE 59′), 13.Sarah CAIN, 19.Poppie HOOKS ( 11.Lisa DE VANNA 46′), 24.Gemma CRAINE, 26.Mie LETH JANS ( 23.Alana JANCEVSKI 70′)

Substitutes not used: 1.Morgan AQUINO (GK)

Substitutes not used: 1.Morgan AQUINO (GK)

Yellow Cards: Leth Jans

Red Cards: None