League leaders edge out Glory youngsters


After taking an early leard against NPL title favourites Inglewood United, Glory’s youngsters were edged out 3-2 at Inglewood Stadium at the weekend.

Nikola Talimdzioski struck for Glory but  United’ s ohn Migas leveled on the half hour.

Second half goals to Josh Pereira and Kenny Keogh, brother of Glory’s A-League striker Andy, put Inglewood in control, and despite a late consolation from Jack Iredale it was too late for Perth to salvage a point. 

Glory Coach John Gibson said his troops started well but lost their way and let Inglewood back in the game.

“Another game where we needed to assert our dominance and capitalize on that. There was a little patch that we lost our way and that cost us heavily. Credit to the group they didn’t stop and got a goal at the backend of the game, which showed the super character we have in the group”.

“We learnt more wonderful and tough lessons today, and no doubt against Sorrento next week the same endeavor, character and resilience will be required.”

The home side was out of the blocks early as Keogh came close, getting on the end of Mark Pritchard’s corner, but Glory custodian Riley Stevenson saved well.

Ross Millard then came to his sides rescue, clearing Pritchard’s in-swinging corner off the line as the home side pressed for the opener.

Glory steadied and Gino Albano found space down the right and crossed to Joe Knowles, but the acting skipper’s header flashed over the top.

Then on 24 minutes the Glory hit the front, Talimdzioski harassed the Inglewood defender forcing a turn over, and the striker picked his spot and firied into the top corner of the net giving Alex Dunn no chance. 

Inglewood looked for the quick response, and Keogh was picked out in the penalty area, but as the striker was about to pull the trigger Iredale got back with a brilliant last-ditch tackle.

But on the half hour the home side levelled, Migas getting on the end of deep corner to finish at the back post.

Glory had a late chance in the first half when Knowles’ shot from the edge of the penalty was saved low by Dunn

Early in the second half Glory almost regained the lead.

Knowles was brought down on the edge of the box, and Talimdzioski’s curling free kick whistled inches past the post.

But on 57 minutes the home side hit the front.

Ashley Rosindale got clear of Stephenson and played the ball across to Pereira who scored into an empty net.

Glory had a penalty claim turned down by referee Michal Jasinski after Daniel Stynes was brought down and moments later Dunn produced a stunning save to deny Talimdzioski’s free kick.

Then on 73 minutes Inglewood added a third, whehn Keogh held off his marker and finished clinically past Stevenson.    

Glory’s continued to press and was rewarded in the final minute with a consolation goal.

Talimdzioski’s corner picked out the unmarked Iredale at the back post and the defender headed home.

Glory will head to Percy Doyle Reserve  this weekend to face Jamie Harnwell’s Sorrento FC.

Match Details

Inglewood United 3 (Migas 29’, Pereira 57’, Keogh 72’)

Perth Glory 2 (Talimdzioski 11’, Iredale 90’)

Saturday, June 25, 2016
Inglewood Stadium, Inglewood
Kick-off: 3:00 pm

Referee: Michal Jasinski

Inglewood United: GK Alex DUNN, 3 David CYRUS, 5 Adam TONG, 7 Kenny KEOGH (15 Matthew SPURLING 84’), 9 Brian WOODALL, 10 Ash ROSINDALE, 11 John MIGAS, 13 Josh PEREIRA (12 Scott WITSCHGE 75’), 14 Mark PRITCHARD (21 Slobodan VULIN 75’), 17 Tim ROBERTSON, 18 Jason COLLI

Subs not used: RGK Scott WALLIS, 19 Ryan SARDI

Yellow cards: Pritchard 60’, Robertson 63’

Perth Glory FC: GK Riley STEPHENSON, 2 Gian ALBANO, 3 Jack IREDALE, 4 Scott ROBERTSON, 5 Ross MILLARD, 6 Cal WHITNEY, 7 Yacoub MUSTAFA (14 Jackson MORGAN 72’), 8 Dejan SPASESKI, 9 Joseph KNOWLES, 10 Daniel STYNES (13 Sam MCKEARNEN 72’), 11 Nikola TALIMDZIOSKI

Subs not used: RGK Jackson LEE, 12 Sean TROUP, 15 Jack LEACH

Yellow cards: Stynes 38, Morgan 78, Robertson 90+3