Hopeful news in Hero Hunter’s bid to come home


As you may recall, Hunter Madden’s story inspired the club to become involved with the World-s Greatest Shave two years ago.

Recently turned seven, his incredibly brave battle with leukaemia continues and he was recently forced to relocate to Melbourne for treatment.

The current travel restrictions mean that Hunter and his family now face another huge hurdle in trying to get back to Perth, but it looks as if there could be some light at the end of the tunnel.

His mother, Kate, takes up the story below:

“Thank you to everyone who shared my post. We have news. With help from you all and some friends in high places we managed to get in contact with the assistant commissioner and the WA health minister. They worked tirelessly on Easter Sunday and our exemption paperwork arrived this morning. We are now waiting for the government to finalise talks with Qantas and will be returning on the repatriation flights some time in the near future.

“We wouldn’t have been able to do this without all your help. Thank you so very much. I will update again once we have confirmed flights booked. We can not wait to get our boys home. What a crazy time we all live in!

“On March the 8th our little family and grandparents embarked on a trip of a lifetime over to Melbourne from our home in Perth. Unfortunately this was not a holiday but an emergency trip to give Hunter a chance at a life.

“Hunter had relapsed for a second time with Leukaemia. After already having a bone marrow transplant in 2019 the cancer returned January 2020. His only chance was to go to Melbourne for CAR T therapy, a new treatment that uses his own engineered T cells to fight his cancer.

“We flew over early March when Coronavirus was all but a whisper. We were worried about travelling through airports but that was all really. There were cases in both Perth and Melbourne but they were all from overseas travellers.

“Hunter received his lifesaving Turbo T cells on the 18th of March. We have spent the last 3 weeks in hospital and in our little apartment while he has recovered.

“Hunter is due to have scans this Thursday 16th. After getting the results on Friday, Hunter is due for his next tests in Perth Children’s Hospital on April 28th.”

We’ll continue to keep you updated on Hunter’s progress and in the meantime, why not check out how you can help the battle against Leukaemia by visiting the Leuakaemia Foundation home page HERE.