Perth Glory continued their preparation for the up-coming FFA Cup round of 16, and the new A-League season, going down 1-2 to the WA State league side in the ‘Call to Arms’ Cup at Dalmatinac Park.

A late Sidnei Sciola bullet header wasn’t enough for Kenny Lowe’s side, after goals to Alec Solomons and former Glory midfielder Ludovic Boi had put the WA side in front.

The Glory Coach was happy with the work out, and getting some much needed game time into the players’ legs. “It was a good work out for us, and we got what we wanted out of the game tonight,” Lowe said.

“It pleasing to get 90 minutes out of Scott (Jamieson) after his long term injury, although we only wanted him to play 60, but we had no more subs. We created a number of chances but failed to convert them, and when you see the whites of the eyes of the keeper five or six times you have to finish a few of them. But the state side played well and took their chances. We had plenty of possession but they hit us on the counter attack, and we were punished from a throw in and on transition which is disappointing.”

The Glory looked sharp early, and on five minutes, skipper Michael Thwaite’s through ball found Chris Harold, who fired wide. Youssouf Hersi was energetic in and around the penalty area, and it was his through ball on six minutes that sent Chris Harold in on goal, but the former Hull City keeper Curtis Aspden saved well to deny the striker.

After a nervous start the WA side, which included former Glory players Dean Evans, Todd Howarth and Ludovic Boi, as well as former Melbourne Heart defender Sam Mitchinson, began to get in the game and went close to the opener on 11 minutes.

Devon Gibson’s ball over the top sent Mark Doninger in on goal, but the former Newcastle United midfielder saw his shot well saved by Glory custodian Jack Duncan, and Lewis McMahon’s follow up shot went inches wide.

Duncan came to his sides rescue again on the quarter hour, saving low from WA skipper Clark Keltie’s volley from the edge of the penalty area.

As half time approached the Glory were getting on top, and Daniel de Silva eased past two WA defenders before finding Jamie Maclaren, whose neat lob dropped on to the top of the net.

Jack Clisby’s long-range shot whistled wide of the target, and in stoppage time Harry O’Brien, raced into the penalty area, his first shot was blocked his second was saved low by Aspden.

The Glory made eight changes at the break, with only Duncan, Clisby and Jamieson keeping their spots, but it was the WA side that went close to breaking the deadlock seven minutes in. Keltie’s pass sent Howarth in down the left; he crossed to Doninger, whose shot was saved low by Duncan.

WA keeper Devon Spence then came to his sides rescue two minutes later. Jamieson sending Nebosja Marinkovic in on goal, but the Bayswater City keeper stood tall and saved well to deny the Serbian.

Then on the hour the Glory went even closer. The lively Sciola sent Andy Keogh in on goal, the WA defenders stopped waiting for the offside flag, that never came, but the Irish striker saw his low shot smack off the base of the post and away to safety.

It was the Glory who dictating terms and they were having a great deal of success down the flanks, with Sciola and Josh Risdon finding good positions, but they couldn’t find the target.
They went close again on 70 minutes. Dino Djulbic ball over the top sent Keogh racing clear, he picked out Sciola at the back post, but the Brazilians’ shot went into the side netting.

But moments later, it was the WA side that hit the front. The Glory lost possession on the left of the penalty area, and Lawrence Shurama nipped in and crossed to the back post where Solomons volleyed home.

The Glory looked for a quick response and Djulbic saw his header rattle the post on 75 minutes, and Richard Garcia fired home seconds later, but the flag was up for offside.
WA then doubled their advantage on 84 minutes; Danny Dixon made space down the left and picked out Boi, who made no mistake.

It looked game over but the Glory had other ideas. Straight from the kick off Risdon raced clear down the left and crossed to the back post, where Sciola headed home powerfully from five meters.

It set up a grandstand finish, with the Glory pushing for the equaliser and in the final minute, Marinkovic’s corner found Keogh, whose header was well saved by Spence, and at the final whistle it was the WA players celebrating their win. 

The WA State League Coach, and former Perth Glory defender, Chris Coyne, was delighted with players on the night. “We’ve only had three sessions together, and I thought they went about their business pretty well, and they are a credit to themselves,” he said.

“The effort they put in and the way they applied themselves was first class, and sometimes when you work hard you get the rewards and the whole squad did that tonight.”

Perth Glory 1 (Sciola 85’)
WESTERN AUSTRALIA 2 (Solomons 71’, Boi 84’)

Wednesday 13th August 2014
Dalmatinac Park, Spearwood
Attendance: 800 (Apporox)
Referee: Adam Fielding
Assistants: Mathew Cheeseman and Tim Mihevc
Fourth Official: Nico Hoyle

Perth Glory (1st Half) – GK Jack DUNCAN, 2 Jack CLISBY, 3 Brandon O’NEIL, 7 Youssouf HERSI, 14 Chris HAROLD, 15 Jamie MACLAREN, 20 Daniel DE SILVA, 21 Scott JAMIESON, 22 Cameron EDWARDS, 23 Michael THWAITE (c), 26 Harry O’BRIEN (2nd Half) – GK Jack DUNCAN, 2 Jack CLISBY, 6 Dino DJULBIC, 9 Andy KEOGH, 10 Nebosja MARINKOVIC, 11 Richard GARCIA, 13 Diogo FERRIERA, 16 Sidnei SCIOLA, 17 Mitch NICHOLS, 19 Josh RISDON, 21 Scott JAMIESON

WESTERN AUSTRALIA – GK Curtis ASPDEN (RGK Devon SPENCE 46’) 2 Devon GIBSON, 3 Sam MITCHINSON (13 Jack ALLEN 66’), 4 Adam TONG (14 Bobby WILSON 62’), 6 Clark KELTIE (c) (21 Alex RANDALL 66’), 8 Dean EVANS (12 Danny DIXON 66’), 9 Lewis MCMAHON (17 Carlo COELHO 55’), 10 Mark DONINGER (16 Andrija JUKIC 55’), 11 Teeboy KAMARA (7 Ludovic BOI 46’), 22 Todd HOWARTH (19 Lawrence SHURAMA 55’), 23 Chris SALDARIS (15 Alec SOLOMONS 62’)