Glory pay the penalty late at Balcatta


Perth Glory have been held to a 1-1 draw by Balcatta, in Week 17 of the PS4 National Premier League WA at Grindleford Reserve on Saturday afternoon.

Striker Bayley Brown-Montgomery scored a stunning goal to give the Glory youngsters the lead early, but a penalty 10 minutes from time from Luccas Mello gave both sides a share of the spoils.

Glory Head Coach John Gibson said they deserved more from the game.

“An OK performance from the group today, and we’re all very disappointed not to come away with all three points,” Gibson said.

“Many positives from the game – we created plenty of clear-cut opportunities, but in the end, if you don’t take those chances, it will hurt you, and it did today.

“It’s fantastic that we are threatening in the front third with forward runs, combination play, dribbling, we just need to punish the opposition.”

Gibson said they created the chances and Balcatta keeper Domenico Savoldelli was in inspired form.

“Being ruthless has been one of our focuses – as we know we will create plenty of good chances, but Dom pulled off some really good saves to deny us, but we were also guilty of not taking the opportunities that were presented to us, “he said.

“We continue our growth with another test next weekend when the current league Champions Perth Soccer Club visit the Ashfield Arena.”

Brown-Montgomery said it was one that got away. “I thought that we played very well for the full game but inexperience in front of goal and defensively resulted with the 1-1 result,” he said.

“I feel as the year goes on we will mature more, and I expect the results will improve.”

Gibson made three changes to the side that were beaten a Joondalup last week, bringing in teenager defender Joe Marino for his starting debut for the first team – the 19-year-old replacing the injured Luka Bodnar.

Also Gomo Dukuly replaced Michael Domfeh, and Yacoub Mustafa replaced Michael McDougall, while on the bench Harry Quigley (who did make his debut as a sub) and Thomas Eijgenhuijen were in line for their debuts for the first team.

The Glory youngsters started brightly and Brown-Montgomery tested Savoldelli early, and on 13 minutes they took a well-deserved lead.

Brown-Montgomery lost his marker on the edge of the penalty area, and the striker fired home an unstoppable shot giving Savoldelli no chance, for his third goal of the season.

The home went close to levelling moments later, but Josip Vujica’s shot was superbly saved by Kyle McDonald.

It was the Glory with the bulk of possession, and they created some good half chances, but some desperate Balcatta defending kept them at bay.

The home side went close themselves on the half hour, Rudnei Nogueira skipped clear, but a great last ditch tackle from Walter Scott cleared the danger.

It was almost 2-0 just before half-time, Yacoub Mustafa’s shot from the edge of the penalty area was well claimed by Savoldelli.

Skipper Daniel Stynes went close to give the youngsters a perfect start to the second half, but after a great build up, Stynes burst into the box, but his shot was blocked.

Mello had the ball in the net for Balcatta moments later, but his celebrations were cut short with the assistants’ flag up for offside.

Balcatta substitute Brennan Borzecki went close to the equaliser on 54 minutes, but the midfielder’s close-range shot was superbly saved by Glory keeper McDonald.

Gibson’s side were pushing for the second, and Gomo Dukuly long-range shot whistled over the top before the same player was denied by a great save from Savoldelli, who was keeping his side in the game.

Mello was a constant threat, and his deflected shot crashed off the post, and then ten minutes from time Balcatta were awarded a penalty, after referee Michal Jasinski spotted a foul in the box, and Mello scored from the resulting spot-kick to level.

The Glory almost hit back immediately, substitute Michael McDougall’s long-range shot was heading into the corner of the net, but Balcatta keeper Savoldelli produced another great save to deny him before Stynes’ free kick was tipped over the top by Salvoldelli.

Then in stoppage time, the Glory had one last chance to win the game, Callum Timmins racing clear and going one-on-one with Savoldelli, and once again the Balcatta custodian stood tall to deny him.

In other games on the day, Callum Salmon’s under 18’s won convincingly 8-1 against Balcatta, with Adam Zimarino scoring a hat-trick, with doubles from Sam Kokkoris and Josh Samson and an own goal, while Richard Garcia’s under 20’s drew 1-1.

Balcatta FC 1 (Mello 80’ pen)

Perth Glory 1 (Brown-Montgomery 13’)

Saturday, June 17, 2017

Grindleford Reserve

Referee: Michal Jasinski

Balcatta: GK Domenico SAVOLDELLI, 2 Rudnei NOGUEIRA, 3 Juston ONEK, 4 Calum O”CONNELL, 5 Josip VUJICA (8 Brennan BORZECKI 46’), 6 Nicolas TATASCIORE (18 Ben MEREDITH, 76’), 9 Luccas MELLO (11 Dejan ANDRIC 90’), 10 Jonathan CORNESS, 12 Anton DE FRANCESCH, 15 Carmelo GLUFFRE, 16 Marco CHADINHA – Subs not used: RGK Luke HUTCHINSON, 20 Tom PELLIZARI – Yellow Cards: De Francesch 51’, Onek 56’


Perth Glory: GK Kyle MCDONALD, 2 Walter SCOTT, 3 Joseph MARINO, 4 Riley WARLAND (14 Harry QUIGLEY 87’), 5 Cameron MURRAY, 6 Jack LEECH, 7 Bayley BROWN-MONTGOMERY, 8 Callum TIMMINS, 9 Gomo DUKULY (13 Michael DOMFEH 65’), 10 Daniel STYNES, 11 Yacoub MUSTAFA (12 Michael MCDOUGALL 68’) – Subs not used: RGK Ciaran MILLER, 15 Thomas, EIJGENHUIJSEN

Yellow Cards: Nil