Youngsters see off City to stay second


The PGFC Academy First Team maintained second spot on the Football West NPL table after securing a 4-2 win over Rockingham City at E&D Litis Stadium on Sunday.

Walter Scott claimed a first-half brace, with fellow-defender Nick Walsh also getting on the scoresheet  before the break.

Ethan Brooks duly made it 4-0 early in the second half and although a double from Riley Van Dieken brought City back into it, Richard Garcia’s side were able to see the game out.

“I thought we were very good for 70 minutes,” said Garcia, “and some of our approach work and work-rate was a pleasure to watch.

“But we took our foot off the gas, got a little complacent and gave the ball away for the first and conceded from a corner for the second.

“To their credit, Rockingham pressed us late, but we got back on track and ran out the game.

“It’s a good lesson for the players; you can be winning well, but you can’t switch off because you will get punished, so we need to learn from that.

“We’ll take the lessons from this game and move on to next week against Cockburn City.”

Glory hit the front as early as the seventh minute, skipper Henry Hore releasing Walter Scott whose shot on the run flew low past City ‘keeper Cyril Sharrock and into the bottom corner.

And Hore claimed another assist as the hosts soon doubled their lead, sending in the corner which was powerfully headed home by Walsh. 

Rockingham had all hands on deck as Glory continued to press forward, with Sharrock getting down well to save Josh Samson’s long-range shot, before Ethan Brooks’ inviting cross was only inches away from Gabriel Popovic in the box.

Eight minutes before the break, however, that pressure was rewarded with a third goal.

Brooks again made his way down the right and crossed and after Samson’s initial shot was well saved by Sharrock, Scott was on hand to fire home the rebound.

Brooks’ angled shot in the 54th minute made it 4-0 and although the lively Van Dieken  spearheaded a valiant response from the visitors, finding the net from a tight angle and then beating Nic Speca from close-range, Glory remained good value for what was their fifth win of the season.

Perth Glory 4 (Scott 7’, 37’, Walsh 13’, Brooks 54’) Rockingham City 2 (Van Dieken 68’, 75’)

Half time: 3-0

Referee: Josh Mannella

Perth Glory: GK Nicholas SPECA, 2 Zayd FARAH, 3 Walter SCOTT, 4 Kristian POPOVIC, 5 Nick WALSH, 6 Josh SAMSON, 7 Ethan BROOKS (19 Trent OSTLER 57’), 8 Henry HORE, 9 Gabriel POPOVIC, 10 Daniel STYNES (16 Jordan ABRAHAMS 69’), 11 Jacob ITALIANO (17 Gomo DUKULY 55’)

Substitutes not used: RGK Jake RANGE, 18 Jacob MUIR

Yellow cards: Ostler 76’

Red cards: Nil

Rockingham City: GK Cyril SHARROCK, 2 Jason CONSTABLE, 3 Justis BRADLEY, 6 Blake SOKOLOWSKI (15 Shaz RAMLEE 46’), 7 James MILLARD, 9 Sam MCKEARNAN (5 Harry COLLINS 71’), 10 James HARMER, 11 Riley van DIEKEN, 12 Lydon HODGKISS, 13 Jarrad MORT, 23 Victor BRAUNER

Substitutes not used: RGK Michael FARMER, 14 Ryan KENNEDY, 16 Luke HOBSON

Yellow cards: Nil

Red cards: Nil

#OneMission #OneGlory

Picture courtesy of Tom McCarthy