Young Glory backline holds Sydney FC scoreless


Perth Glory FC has contained Hyundai A-League heavyweights Sydney FC to a scoreless draw on a hot Saturday afternoon at nib Stadium.

A young Glory backline comprising of WA duo Alex Grant and Aryn Williams matched it with glamour of the Sky Blues attacking prowess. 

The match was cagey from the offset, with both teams battling for possession in midfield. Glory had most of the territory in the early going, but were unable to carve out any major chances until the 22nd minute. Socceroo Josh Risdon positioned himself well to get on the end of a Richard Garcia cross but the fullback could not find the target, as he dragged his shot wide.

Sydney’s first shot followed 6 minutes later. An Alex Gersbach cross found Filip Holosko, however the Slovakian’s header was tame and easily collected by Glory ‘keeper Ante Covic.

In the 38th minute, Glory had the best chance of the half. Beating the offside trap, Sidnei Sciola was played down the right, finding Garcia in front of goal but the captain’s shot was blocked. Diego Castro had a chance on the follow-up but his effort was also denied by the Sydney defence.

Glory had another big chance just before halftime, coming from a sharp cross from Risdon. Diogo Ferreira was able to get his head on the end of the service, but could not redirect it on target.

The first chance of the second 45′ came for Garcia 6 minutes into stoppage time. He worked his way into the box and fired from the right side, however again his shot was blocked by Matthew Jurman.

Two minutes later Garcia turned provider, feeding a well-weighted through ball to Chris Harold. The halftime sub cut onto his left and tried to curl it, but placed it straight at Sydney ‘keeper Vedran Janjetovic.

Harold had another massive chance in the 57th minute, Garcia poking the ball into the path of Harold outside the box, but this time Harold couldn’t find the target, firing just wide of the near post.

Sydney’s best chance of the match came in the 68th minute, Gersbach finding the head of 2nd half sub Matt Simon with a cross from the left side of the box, but Simon’s header went wide by inches.

In the 74th minute, Harold had yet another shot at goal, this time getting on the end of a long ball misplayed by Jurman. He tried to chip the onrushing ‘keeper Janjetovic, but his shot looped over the goal into the stands.

In the end neither team could find the finishing touch in the heat; the final score 0-0.

Glory coach Kenny Lowe said he wasn’t happy with the draw.

“We had better chances, we probably should’ve got something out of the game,” he said.

“We were very well organised and difficult to beat, we just need a bit of creativity.” 

Glory returns to action on Friday away to Melbourne City, kicking off at 4:40pm AWST.


Scorer: Nil
Perth Glory FC: 0
Sydney FC: 0
Venue: nib Stadium
Attendance: 6,976

Perth Glory FC:  Covic (GK), Risdon (54’), Williams, Grant, Warren (82’), Thwaite, Ferreira, Marinkovic, Garcia (C), Sciola (46’), Castro
Substitutes: Tyson (GK), Harold (46’), Gligor (82’), Oxborrow (54’), Reiners

Sydney FC FC:  Janjetovic (GK), Ryall, Gersbach, Jurman, Dimitrijevic (81’), Smeltz (61’), Ninkovic, Brosque (C), Holosko (72’), Grant, Tavares
Substitutes: Anderson, Hoole (72’), O’Neill (81’), Simon (61’), Necevski (GK)