Stynes on target as youngsters draw on road


The PGFC Academy First Team secured a valuable away point on Saturday as they fought out a 1-1 draw with Cockburn City in their Football West NPL clash at Dalmatinac Park.

Daniel Stynes gave the youngsters the lead just before the hour and they had other chances to seal the win, but Daniel Robinson levelled for the hosts 18 minutes from time and despite their best efforts, Glory couldn’t muster a response in the final stages.

“It was one of those days today; we had our chances but didn’t take them when we were on top,” reflected Head Coach Richard Garcia.

“We had plenty of possession and played some good football, but we lacked a little in the final third today.

“But it’s a point on the road, we’ll take it and move on.

“We’re not in action next week with the FFA Cup games taking place, so we will re-group and focus on the Bayswater game the weekend after.

“We sit in second place on the table after nine games and are going OK, but I know we have more to give and we’ll be working hard to improve.”

Garcia’s side  were on front foot in the first half and went close when Stynes eased past former Glory defender Hayden Stevens, but his shot across home ‘keeper Luke Radonich missed everyone in the box and drifted wide.

Moments later Stynes was in again, the lively midfielder racing into the penalty area and cutting the ball back from the bye-line, only for Walter Scott to fire off-target. 

On 55 minutes, however, the opening goal finally arrived.

Half-time substitute Trent Ostler got away down the right and and crossed for Stynes whose firm header gave Radonich no chance.

Cockburn were working overtime at the back and Glory were convinced they had a penalty when Stynes played Ostler in on goal and he appeared to be brought down, but referee Steven Gregory waved away their protests.

Moments later Henry Hore was also seemingly upended, but again the referee ignored the Glory players’ protests. 

The visitors’ sense of injustice was further heightened in the 72nd minute when Robinson raced in on goal and finished low past Nicholas Speca.

Despite applying all the late pressure, Glory were unable to break through for a second time, with Radonich producing several fine saves, including a particularly impressive reflex effort to deny Jacob Italiano.

After the final whistle, however, goalscorer Stynes was philosophical about the outcome.

“I didn’t think it was our best performance, but we fought well and put a lot of effort in and on another day, we could’ve had 3-4 goals,”” he said.

“But we’ll roll onto our next game, work harder in training and get set for Bayswater in two weeks’ time.”

In the day’s other games, meanwhile, Glory’s Under-18s fought out an entertaining 3-3 draw, while the Under-20s also left Dalmatinac Park with a point, after their game finished 1-1. 

Match Details

Cockburn City 1 (Robinson 72’) Perth Glory 1 (Stynes 55’)

Half time: 0-0

Referee: Steven Gregory

Cockburn City: GK Luke RADONICH, 5 Julian TELES, 6 Ruben TRISTAO, 8 Cameron EDWARDS, 12 Ryan PRATT (23 Riley WOODCOCK 46’), 14 Hayden STEVENS, 15 Daniel SANTICH, 16 Daniel ROBINSON, 17 Devon GIBSON (18 Adam ANFUSO 72’), 19 Hasani SINCLAIR (9 Anthony SKORICH 86’), 21 Jesse LAZZARO

Substitutes not used: RGK Ben RADONICH, 10 David ARAY

Yellow cards: Santich 90+2’

Red cards: None

Perth Glory: GK Nicholas SPECA, 2 Zayd FARAH, 3 Walter SCOTT, 4 Jacob MUIR, 5 Nick WALSH, 6 Josh SAMSON (14 Liam MURRAY 86’), 7 Ethan BROOKS (13 Gabriel POPOVIC 17’), 8 Henry HORE, 9 Gomo DUKULY (12 Trent OSTLER 46’), 10 Daniel STYNES, 11 Jacob ITALIANO

Substitutes not used: RGK Jake RANGE, 15 Alessandro CIRCATI

Yellow cards:  Popovic 47’, Ostler 47’, Scott 90+3’

Red cards: None

#OneMission #OneGlory

Picture courtesy of Tom McCarthy