Perth goes down in five goal thriller

Perth Glory has slipped to fifth on the Hyundai A-League table after a heart breaking 3-2 loss to Sydney FC at Parramatta Stadium

Perth Glory has slipped to fifth on the Hyundai A-League table after a heart breaking 3-2 loss to Sydney FC at Parramatta Stadium.

Former Socceroo striker John Aloisi was Sydney-s hero with two second half goals as Perth showed tremendous spirit and courage to twice come back from a goal down.

“Very proud, it shows we now have a bit of depth at the club and it-s a credit to them.

“They gave everything in the second half and I think we deserved something out of the game but it wasn-t to be,” was Dave Mitchell-s reaction.

In one of the games of the season, the Sky blues took the lead on 24 minutes when Steve Corica converted a penalty, after Todd Howarth was judged to have fouled Shannon Cole in the box.

Despite the set-back, the Glory hit back immediately and Daniel McBreen forced Clint Bolton into a stunning save with his long range effort.

Perth though did equalise just before the break through Wayne Srhoj. In a well worked move, Srhoj volleyed home from the edge of the 18 yard box, after a nice touch from Andrija Jukic.

Five minutes into the second half Sydney took the lead again but in controversial circumstances when Aloisi-s shot was cleared off the line. Initially referee Chris Beath awarded a corner but he then changed his decision after a discussion with his assistant.

Television replays show referee Beath was correct to award the goal because the ball crossed the line but slipped out through the side netting.

“It-s disappointing because he changed his mind and I didn-t think he was allowed to do that.”

With the Glory chasing their fourth straight win, McBreen made it 2-2 with his fifth goal in five games, when he finished from close range, to set up a thrilling finish.

A classic header from Aloisi with three minutes to play put Sydney in front for the third time but Perth refused to give in.

McBreen again forced Bolton into a brilliant save, with another stinging shot but Perth, minus 6 players through injury failed to get a third.

The Perth Glory will now play Brisbane Roar next Saturday at ME Bank Stadium before their first A-League finals campaign begins.

Hyundai A-League 2009/10 – Round 26

Perth Glory: 2 (SRHOJ 45+1-, McBREEN 76-)
Sydney FC: 3 (CORICA 24-, ALOISI 50-, 87-)

Sunday 7 February 2010 at Parramatta Stadium, Parramatta
Crowd: 8359

Referee: Chris Beath
Assistant Referees: Ben Wilson, Scott Edeling
Fourth official: Kris Griffiths

Perth Glory Squad: 20. Aleks Vrteski, 2.Danny McBreen, 3.Jamie COYNE, 4.Andy TODD, 6.Chris COYNE (c), 10. Wayne SHROJ (5.Jamie HARNWELL 73-), 12.Scott NEVILLE, 14.Steven McGARRY, 17.Todd HOWARTH (13.Scott BULLOCH 33), 19.Naum SEKULOVSKI, 23.Andrija JUKIC (9.Tommy AMPHLETT 60-)

Substitutes not used: 30. Alex PEARSON (gk)
Yellow cards: McGarry, Vrteski, McBreen
Red cards: Nil

Sydney FC Squad:1.Clint BOLTON (gk), 3.Stephan KELLER, 4.Simon COLOSIMO, 6.Karol KISEL, 8.Stuart MUSIALIK (16.Chris PAYNE 82-), 9.John ALOISI, 10.Steve CORICA (c) (23. Rhyan GRANT 73-), 12.Shannon COLE, 14.Alex BROSQUE, 15.Terry MCFLYNN, , 22.Sung-Hwan BYUN (26 Hayden FOXE 90+2-).

Substitutes not used: 20.Ivan NECEVSKI (gk)
Yellow cards: Nil
Red cards: Nil