Glory produce superb display to sink City at AAMI Park

Melbourne City v Glory - players celebrate

Glory moved to within one point of the top six after first-half goals from Daniel Stynes and Dane Ingham, plus a late header from Nick D’Agostino, secured an impressive 3-1 win over last year’s Grand Finalists Melbourne City at AAMI Park.


Stynes claimed his first ever A-League goal for the club to give Richard Garcia’s men the lead in the 11th minute and although Jamie Maclaren restored parity later in the half, Dane Ingham’s diving header just before the break put Glory back in front.

The visitors were then forced to weather a sustained period of home pressure midway through the second half before D’Agostino climbed highest to nod home Neil Kilkenny’s free-kick and ensure that the club’s unbeaten run against City at AAMI Park would be extended to nine games.

Despite the game being their fourth in just 11 days, the men in purple fizzed with energy throughout an end-to-end contest and Garcia was understandably delighted with his charges’ display.


“They deserved that tonight because they put in a lot of hard yards,” he said.

“We’ve still got a long way to go to be the team that we envisage as a group.

“That’ll come in time and with a lot of hard work, I’m sure we’ll get there.

“We’re still growing our fitness after such a hectic schedule and you see that players are getting fatigued not only in our games, but in other games as well.

“So that’s part and parcel of it, but it’s pleasing to know that the guys had the mentality tonight to see it through the whole way.”

In a lively opening, both sides went close in the space of a minute as Ingham headed a Kilkenny corner against the crossbar and City skipper Jamie Maclaren fired wide when sent clean through on goal.

The former Glory man soon went even closer to breaking the deadlock, turning Naoki Subaki’s low cross against the foot of the post.

The visitors’ response to that let-off, however, was instant, Bruno Fornaroli and Diego Castro combining to tee up a shooting opportunity for Stynes whose rasping effort took a deflection and flew into the bottom corner.

There was no let-up in the pulsating pace of the opening period as Subaki again picked out Maclaren, only for last season’s Golden Boot winner to place his header over the bar.

The next major chance fell Glory’s way, Josh Rawlins delivering a teasing ball across the face of goal which Castro, at full stretch, was just unable to force home.

Then, in the 33rd minute, Maclaren finally bagged the goal he’d been threatening from the outset, converting from close range after Craig Noone’s curling, left-foot shot had struck the post.

But Glory reacted well to the setback and just before the break, regained their lead.

The shape on Kilkenny’s free-kick demanded a finishing touch and Ingham provided it, with the VAR eventually adjudging that the New Zealand international had timed his far post run to perfection.

2-1 almost became 3-1 within three minutes of the restart, Kilkenny finding Castro whose low cross-shot just eluded the sliding Bruno Fornaroli at the back post, but City also continued to threaten on a regular basis and only a fine, reflex save from Tando Velaphi prevented Adrian Luna from levelling it up on the hour-mark.

Connor Metcalfe was next to go close for the hosts when he headed over the bar and yet just as Patrick Kisnorbo’s side cranked up the late pressure, D’Agostino struck to seal the points for the visitors.

Kilkenny was the provider once again, bending in a trademark pinpoint free-kick which D’Agostino climbed to meet with a powerful header that cannoned into the net via the foot of the post.

Match Details

Melbourne City FC 1 (Maclaren 33′) Perth Glory 3 (Stynes 11′, Ingham 43′, D’Agostino 84′)

Half-time: 1-2

AAMI Park Stadium, Melbourne

Referee: Chris Beath

Melbourne City FC: 1.Tom GLOVER (gk), 2.Scott GALLOWAY, 9.Jamie MACLAREN (c), 11.Craig NOONE (13.Nathaniel ATKINSON 74′), 14.Naoki TSUBAKI (23.Marco TILIO 54′), 16.Taras GOMULKA 10.Florin BERENGUER-BOHRER 56′) 18.Connor METCALFE, 19.Ben GARUCCIO, 20.Adrian LUNA, 22.Curtis GOOD, 36.Kerrin STOKES

Substitutes not used: 3.Scott JAMIESON, 17.Stefan COLAKOVSKI, 33.Matthew SUTTON (gk), 43.Alec MILLS

Yellow Cards: Good

Red Cards: None

Perth Glory: 1.Tando VELAPHI (GK),  5.Jonathan ASPROPOTAMITIS, 9.Bruno FORNAROLI, 17.Diego CASTRO (18.Nick D’AGOSTINO 64′), 19.Calllum TIMMINS (15.Brandon WILSON 36′), 20.Carlo ARMIENTO, 22.Josh RAWLINS (16.Nick SULLIVAN 60′), 23.Dane INGHAM, 24.Daniel STYNES, 29.Darryl LACHMAN, 88.Neil KILKENNY (C)

Substitutes not used: 21.Bryce BAFFORD, 33.Liam REDDY (GK), 34.Mason TATAFU

Yellow Cards: Aspropotamitis, Sullivan

Red Cards: None