Iredale hit by another injury blow


Perth Glory Youth defender Jack Iredale has suffered a third ACL knee injury during the team’s 2-0 loss against Newcastle Jets in the National Youth League game at the weekend

The 18-year-old, who has represented the Young Socceroos, had to fight his way back into the side this season, and has been a solid contributor for the league leaders, but was carried off the field in the first half, after turning his marker in the box and got his foot stuck in the pitch.

Striker Joe Knowles said the injury left the rest of his team mates devastated.

“We all felt gutted for Jack, and it showed on the pitch as soon as it happened,” he said. “Everyone’s emotions got the better of them in the first half, and we conceded two goals. But the second half we came out a lot stronger but couldn’t find the net.”

Glory Coach John Gibson made five changes to the side that drew 0-0 with Adelaide United last time out, with leading scorer Knowles returning to the starting line-up.

Ryan Barker came into goal, with Riley Woodcock, Todd Norris and Calvin Whitney also in the side.

The Jets were coming off a good 2-0 win on the road against Western Sydney Wanderers and were out of the blocks early, with first team squad member Taylor Regan in their side.

Both sides had plenty of possession, but clear cut chances were few and far between.

Iredale was forced off the pitch after only ten minutes, when he was caught be a stray elbow, the youngster coming back on with what looked a broken nose.

But it was the Glory who had the first real opportunity on 25 minutes. A break down the left by Riley Woodcock ended with a cross to Knowles, whose first touch took him clear of Jets keeper Jesse Cook, but he took the ball wide and his low shot from the angle crashed off the post and way to safety.

But the game changed five minutes later when Iredale was stretched off the field, and the Jets pounced with the opening goal four minutes later.

Mitch Cooper started the move finding Nick Cowburn, who played Brandon Lundy down the left. He cut inside Matt Davies and crossed to Braedyn Crowley who fired home past Ryan Barker from close-range.

It got worse for the Glory in the last minute of the first half when the home side doubled their advantage. A corner was whipped into the back post and Reece Papadimirios finished past Baker.

A shell-shocked Glory looked to hit back, but was struggling to break down a tight Jets defence. The best chance fell to lively winger Borbor Sam. He picked the ball up in the middle of the park and ran at the Jets, leaving four players in his wake, taking him one-on-one with Cook. His low shot beat the Jets custodian but to the Glory’s disappointed the post came to his rescue.

Glory continued to press but couldn’t find a break through and at the final whistle it was the Jets who ran out winners, but the thoughts of Glory coaches, players and supporters are with Jack Iredale and his devastating injury – Get well soon Jack!!! .

National Youth League

Newcastle Jets Youth 2 (Crowley 39’, Papadimirios 44’)

Perth Glory Youth 0

Sunday 25th January 2015

Venue – Rockwell Automation Park, Weston

Newcastle Jets Youth: GK Jesse COOK, 2 Reece PAPADIMIRIOS, 3 Taylor REGAN (C), 4 Thomas WHITESIDE, 5 Caio De GODOY, 6 Nicholas COWBURN, 7 Thomas WALLER, 8 Ryan ENSOR, 9 Braedyn CROWLEY, 10 Mitch COOPER, 11 Brandon LUNDY

Subs: RGK John SOLARI, 12 Andrew PAWIAK, 14 Benjamin HAY, 15 Charles HORSLEY

Perth Glory Youth: GK Ryan BARKER, 2 Matthew DAVIES, 3 Jacob COLLARD (C), 4 Jack IREDALE, 5 Riley WOODCOCK, 6 Harry O’BRIEN, 7 Borbor SAM, 8 Calvin WHITNEY, 9 Joe KNOWLES, 10 Cameron EDWARDS, 11 Todd NORRIS

Subs: RGK Jordan YOUNG, 14 Ali GHOLAMI, 16 Matthew NTOUMENOPOULOS, 18 Nathan COSTELLO