Glory hold on to bring down the Cockerels


Perth Glory have held on to beat a fast finishing Cockburn City 3-2 at Dalmatinac Park in Saturdays Week 13 PS4 National Premier League WA game.

The Glory youngster led at the break with captain Daniel Stynes on target, before Bayley Brown-Montgomery and Michael Domfeh then gave them a 3-0 lead after 72 minutes.
But Cockburn hit back with late goals from former Glory midfielder Calvin Whitney and Daniel Robinson, but the Glory managed to hold on to win their third game of the season.  
Glory Head Coach John Gibson said it was a good performance from his young side.
“It was a real rollercoaster out there, but we’re really happy the players got rewarded today for their performance,” he said.
“We dominated for large periods and looked dangerous going forward and scored goals. Late on we didn’t manage the game correctly – just kept on playing football and certainly made it interesting at the backend of the game – fantastic learning and growing by the group.”
Gibson said due to injuries and suspension they had a very young side in the game he was really pleased the way they handled the situation.
“Over the past few weeks due to missing players through to injuries prior / during games plus suspension – the group has had to be flexible and adaptable – they are super resilient bunch led fantastically by the older players in the group,” he explained.
“The most pleasing thing for me today any challenges that are placed upon this group – guaranteed they will face it head on and be positive with plenty of belief.”
Jack Leech echoed the coaches’ comments and said they made it hard for themselves conceding the late goals.
“We are very happy to get the win against Cockburn, it was nice for us to get rewarded for all our hard work with the three points,” he said.
“I thought we deserved the win we dominated the majority of the game and limited them opportunities.
The only downside was conceding the two goals at the end, which was disappointing, and made the ending of the game harder than it needed to be but we got the three points which was the main thing.”
The Glory dominated the early exchanges, and Kosta Petratos fired into the side netting on 13 minutes. But debutant keeper Jackson Lee had to be alert 10 minutes later, parrying Robinson’s shot from a tight angle. Cockburn were getting on top with former Glory Youth player Calvin Whitney influential.
The Glory then lost Hayden Stevens on the half hour with injury, and he was replaced by Michael McDougall, but it didn’t stop the Glory from creating chances. Cam Murray saw his shot flash over the top before Joe Knowles shot whistled wide of the target.
But on 36 minutes the Glory deservedly took the lead, Stynes found space on the edge of the penalty area and curled home superbly past Luke Radonich, the goal sending them to the break with the lead.
Petratos went close to adding to the lead early in the second half, the speedy winger cutting in from the left, his shot going just wide of the target. Cockburn had chances of their own, Harry O’Brien shot was saved by Lee, before Ruben Tristao was also denied by Lee.
But on 66 minutes the Glory doubled their advantage. Brown-Montgomery found space on the right and whipped in a teasing cross that was headed home by Knowles.     
It was 3-0 on 72 minutes, second half substitute Domfeh lost his marker in the penalty area and tucked home McDougall’s low cross.
Knowles then stung the palms of Radonich as the Glory looked for more, but on 81 minutes the home side pulled one back. Whitney curling home a free-kick from the edge of the penalty area, after Brandon Wilson had brought down Julian Teles.
It was 3-2 four minutes later, Ryan Pratt squaring the ball back to Robinson, who bundled the ball home. The home side pressed late looking for the equaliser but the Glory held firm to take the points.
In other games Callum Salmon’s under 18’s beat Cockburn City 4-1, with goals from Aidan Edwards, Trent Ostler, Sam Kokkoris and Daniel Walsh, to remain second on the table, while Richard Garcia’s under 20’s were edged out 2-1 by Cockburn.
Match Details
Cockburn City 2 (Whitney 81min, Robinson 85)
Perth Glory 3 (Stynes 36min, Knowles 66, Domfeh 72)

Saturday, May 13, 2017
Dalmatinac Park
Referee:  Matthew Southern

Cockburn City: GK Luke RADONICH, 2 Joshua KUSER, 3 Daniel DOLS, 6 Reuben TRISTAO, 8 Cameron EDWARDS (C), 9 Daniel ROBINSON, 11 Harry O’BRIEN (14 Julian TELES 74’), 13 Blake ADAMS, 16 Calvin WHITNEY, 17 Daniel SANTICH, 18 Aden DA LUZ (7 Ryan PRATT 69’) – Subs not used: RGK Ryan BARKER, 12 Kenel MOUITHYS, 15 Losene DULLEN – Yellow Cards: nil

Perth Glory: GK Jackson LEE, 2 Riley WARLAND, 3 Hayden STEVENS (12 Michael MCDOUGALL 30’), 4 Callum TIMMINS, 5 Cam MURRAY, 6 Jack LEECH, 7 Bayley BROWN-MONTGOMERY, 8 Brandon WILSON, 9 Joe KNOWLES, 10 Daniel STYNES (C) (14 Michael DOMFEH 50’), 11Kosta PETRATOS – Subs not used: RGK Kyle MCDONALD, 13 Joe MARIO, 15 Liam MURRAY – Yellow Cards: Brown-Montgomery 45+1’