Glory edged out by ten-man City


Despite producing another impressive performance, the PGFC Academy First Team were edged out 1-0 by Bayswater City in Saturday’s NPL WA clash at Frank Drago Reserve.

Jason Mirco gave the hosts the lead after 22 minutes, but they were then reduced to ten men when former Glory defender Brent Griffiths was sent off six minutes later.

Although Glory duly laid siege to the home goal, however, they were unable to find an equaliser and slipped a place to third in the table as a result.

“A disappointing result, but a good performance” was the conclusion of Head Coach Richard Garcia.

“I was really pleased with the players’ effort today,” he said.

“They gave me everything and, on another day, we could have scored three or four, but we weren’t as clinical as we should have been in the final third.

“On a positive note, it was great to see young Luca [Bodnar] back today after an horrific neck injury.

“He’s worked extremely hard to get back to fitness and he will be good for the run today.

“So, we will reset and work hard at training this week and look forward to next week’s game against second-placed Inglewood United”   

Glory opened brightly, Jaidon Seldon forcing a save from Devon Spence having been played in by Henry Hore and the home ‘keeper was called into action again moments later, this time to foil Gabriel Popovic who had latched on to Ethan Brooks’ cross from the right.  

Hore and Daniel Stynes proceeded to draw further stops from the overworked Spence before City snatched the lead very much against the run of play.

After combining neatly with Kenny Keogh, Mirco raced into the box, his shot took a deflection off Bodnar which wrong-footed Nic Speca and the ball crept into the net.

Six minutes, however, later the home side were reduced to ten men when Griffiths clashed with Brooks and referee Shane Skinner showed the defender a straight red card.

Buoyed by their numerical superiority, Glory began to crank up the pressure early in the second half, with Stynes heading narrowly wide after meeting another fine cross from the dangerous Brooks.

To their credit, the hosts responded by creating some decent chances of their own, Speca forced into action to deny Keogh, Adam Tong and Ryan Pearson in quick succession, while at the other end, Brooks had his penalty appeals waved away after tumbling in the box under a challenge from Daryl Nicol.

As the game moved into its final quarter, Garcia’s men continued to pour forward, Hore crashing a free-kick against the bar before Stynes was kept off the scoresheet by a fine, last-ditch block from Adam Harris and yet another save from Spence.

Selden also went close right at the death, but ultimately it was not to be for the visitors as the City defence held firm.

In the day’s other games, meanwhile, Glory’s Under-18s fought out 1-1 draw, while the Under-20s ran out 4-2 winners to maintain their lead at the top of the table.

Match Details

Bayswater City 1 (Mirco 22′) Perth Glory 0

Half time 1-0

Referee: Shane Skinner

Bayswater City: GK Devon SPENCE, 10. Jason MIRCO (5. Adam HARRIS 66’), 11. Ryan PEARSON (3. Jack ALLEN 73), 13. Trent KAY, 17. Daryl NICOL, 18. Brent GRIFFITHS, 19. Gordon SMITH, 20. Giordano COLLI, 21. Kenny KEOGH (24. Jake SARDELIC 84’), 27. Ross MILLARD, 30. Adam TONG

Substitutes not used: 2. Declan HARGREAVES, 9. Gustavo GIRON-MARULANDA

Yellow cards: Mirco 13’, Smith 30’, Keogh 32’, Colli 78’

Red cards: Griffiths 28′

Perth Glory: GK Nicolas SPECA, 2. Zayd FARAH, 3. Jaidon SELDEN, 4. Luca BODNAR, 5. Nicholas WALSH, 6. Kristian POPOVIC, 7. Ethan BROOKS, 8. Jack LEECH (14. Gomo DUKULY 67′), 9. Gabriel POPOVIC, 10. Daniel STYNES, 11. Henry HORE

Substitutes not used: 12. Jacob MUIR, 13. Josh SAMSON, 15. Liam MURRAY, 16. Jacob RANGE

Yellow cards: Speca 26′, Brooks 77′

Red cards: Nil


Picture courtesy of Tom McCarthy