Glory beaten by Champions


With former Perth Glory player Chris Coyne at the helm, Bayswater City marched to its third straight NPL Title on Saturday afternoon, defeating Perth Glory 4-1.

David Heagney gave the home side the lead seven minutes before the break, but the Glory youngsters hit back with striker Michael McDougall scoring sixty seconds later. The Champions elect hit the front again just after the hour through Adam Tong, but the brave Glory were undone late in the game, conceding two goals from the league’s leading goal scorer, Gustavo Giron-Marulanda.

Glory coach John Gibson said his side played their part in fantastic game and congratulated Bayswater’s on their title win.

“Firstly congratulations to Bayswater City for a fantastic season, and to ‘Coyney’ and the coaching staff and their players on a wonderful achievement,” he said.

“I thought we matched them for large periods of the game, but we were undone late, the result was part of our player groups’ learning curve.

“Our ethos for the whole year has been to be seriously competitive – we’ve done that for 67 minutes today.”

Gibson said they have a no excuse policy, and believes his players are learning each week.

“We had a bit of a fade-out today, but like I’ve said all season we don’t look for excuses and today was a cracking challenge against a very good side,” he said.

“We will take many positives from the game, we went in with another inexperienced side, and for hour and a bit we went toe to toe with the best side in the league.

“The character and courage of these youngsters is second to none, and they continual impresses the coaching staff, and their constant commitment to the program continues to impress us going forward.”

Glory skipper Nathan Costello said the table doesn’t lie.

“They (Bayswater) have been the benchmark for the past three seasons, and at the end of the day the table doesn’t lie,” he said.

“We went into the game with a plan and the lads kept their shape well and looked comfortable on the ball, but their pressure told with the two late goals, as we chased the game.

“We been on a good run of form, and have given some of our younger squad members an opportunity in the senior side and that will be good for them in future.

“We go forward to next week against Balcatta and look to end the season well and continue our improvement.”

At kick off the home side knew that if they won and results elsewhere went their way, the title was theirs. However Glory looked comfortable early, but were unable to create any clear cut chances.

The best early chance fell to the Glory. The lively Nikola Talimdzioski raced clear after a ball over the top, but his lob over Bayswater keeper Devon Spence went the wrong side of the post and into the side netting.

But the home side started to dictate terms and they hit the front on 37 minutes. Marulanda made space down the left and his cross picked out Heagney, and the former Huddersfield Town striker fired home via the underside of the crossbar.

It was a huge blow for the Glory youngsters, but they showed great resolve and were level sixty seconds later.

Talimdzioski, whose pace was causing the Bayswater defence problems, was sent down the left, he pulled the ball back to the edge of the box to McDougall, who made no mistake firing low past Spence.

It was a great response from the Glory and at the break it was all square.

With the result at Perth coming through, the expectant home supporters knew the title was in their reach, but they couldn’t break down a Glory defence well marshaled by Costello and Ross Millard.

But on 66 minutes Calvin Whitney brought down Heagney 20-yards from goal. From the resulting Todd Howarth’s free kick, the ball wasn’t cleared by the Glory defenders and Marulanda found Tong, who headed home at the back post.

The Glory looked for another quick response and Dejan Spaseski tried his luck from long-range but his shot was wide of the target.

Moments later Waliedin Ismail tried his luck from outside the penalty area, but again it was wide of the target.

The home side supporters were in party mood with news Floreat Athena were being well beaten by Perth SC, and they were off their seats again on 74 minutes when they added a third.

Sam Mitchinson cut inside his marker on the left, and picked out Marulanda, and the Columbian striker made no mistake, firing low past Franken.

It was 4-1 ten minutes later. This time Marulanda was sent clear by Howarth, and he finished with aplomb past Franken.

Marulanda had a chance to complete his hat trick in the final minute, when he was brought down by Costello and referee David Costello pointed to the spot.

But the striker’s cheeky chip from the resulting penalty went over the top. 

It didn’t matter however as Bayswater claimed the title with three games to spare. Next up for Gibson’s side is a home clash with seventh placed Balcatta.

In the earlier games Callum Salmon’s under 18’s were beaten 2-0 by Bayswater. “The boys created a number of good chances but failed to convert them,” Salmon said. “They (Bayswater) took the chances they created and won the game, Ash Jayakumar, Jack Leech and Walter Scott were great for us.” Meanwhile Bobby Despotovski’s under 20’s were also beaten by Bayswater, going down 2-4.


Match Details

Bayswater City 4 (Heagney 37’, Tong 66’, Marulanda 74’, 84’)
Perth Glory 1 (McDougall 38’)

Saturday August 15 2015
Frank Drago Reserve

Kick off: 3:00pm
Referee: David Costello

Bayswater City: GK Devon SPENCE, 2 Declan HARGREAVES, 6 Todd HOWARTH, 9 Gustavo Giron MARULANDA, 12 Adam TONG, 13 Trent KAY (C), 14 Danny DIXON (11 Jamie MURPHY 78’), 15 Brian FARRELL (17 Bor Bor SAM 52’), 16 Jamie COYNE, 20 Sam MITCHINSON, 21 David HEAGNEY (4 John KEARNEY 66’)

Substitutes not used: 3 Aaron DELANEY, 25 Pasquale GIOFFRE
Yellow Cards: Nil
Red Cards: Nil 

Perth Glory: GK Jordan FRANKEN, 2 Gian ALBANO (14 Hayden STEVENS 28’, (12. Sam McKearnan 74’), 3 Ross MILLARD, 4 Nathan COSTELLO (C), 5 Ali GHOLAMI, 6 Calvin WHITNEY, 7 Sean TROUP, 8 Dejan SPASESKI, 9 Michael MCDOUGALL, 10 Waliedin ISMAIL, 11 Nikola TALIMDZIOSKI

Substitutes not used: 13 Matthew NTOUMENOPOULOS, 15 Daniel STYNES, 20 Riley STEPHENSON
Yellow cards: Whitney 66′
Red cards: Nil